Lead UX/ UI Designer
Type: Permanent Full-time
Location: We are working from home!
Start Date: ASAP
Number of Openings: 1
At East Side Games, we all band together to deliver a world-class gameplay experience for our players around the globe. Whether that’s working with Ricky and the Gang on Trailer Park Boys: Greasy Money, or any of our other current or upcoming titles, you’re committed to making memorable player experiences. Everyone has an impact here.
WHAT IMPACT CAN A UX/UI DESIGNER HAVE AT ESG?
As Lead UI/UX Designer on IdleKit, you’ll bring a keen sense of user-centred design, an eye for detail and a love of mobile games. You’ll be a leader and main UI/UX point of contact for our Idle Kit partner games, guiding the team and ensuring UX best practices for Usability and Accessibility. You’ll be a champion of empathy and understanding the needs of our diverse player-base.
WHAT YOU MIGHT DO IN YOUR DAY TO DAY
- Facilitate the design of user flows, wireframes, prototypes, icons, and interactions, ensuring consistency and alignment to best practices.
- Work with partner studios, reviewing design documentation and guiding them through best practices. Maintain IdleKit UI/UX Guidelines and partner facing documentation
- Mentor, evaluate, and manage UI/UX team members. Measure team performance, provide clear feedback, and help the team develop meaningful, achievable, goals in order to improve.
- Evaluate UX Design process and provide solutions to improve workflows and deliverables. Provide regular feedback and reviews of designs and documentation, providing recommendations for improvements.
- Provide reviews of in-game implementation of features, ensuring alignment to specifications.
- Advocate for UX and our players, work with stakeholders to align on priorities.
- Partner with Game Design and Product, align on player-facing feature functionality.
- Maintain and document the IdleKit UI Design System, guide others on implementation.
- Provide heuristic reviews, discover issues, and provide solutions based on feedback from usability tests and analytics.
- Propose and prioritize UI/UX features and fixes to improve target KPIs, inline with business objectives.
- Work with Art to ensure UI aligns with art direction, working together to present game content through UI.
- Work with Production to plan UI/UX work and manage team bandwidth.
- Work with stakeholders, taking feedback and turning it into actionable solutions.
- Ensure adhesion to UX best practices for Accessibility and Inclusive Design, Usability, and platform requirements.
- Work with User Research and Product to determine what to test/when.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ESG
- 5+ years professional experience working in mobile/free-to-play UI/UX
- Ability to act as a main point-of-contact and mentor more junior designers.
- UX, Communication Design, or Games education background, or similar.
- Understanding of UI/UX best practices for Accessibility & ‘User Centered’ design.
- UX, Communication Design or Games education background, or similar
- Understanding of business goals, KPIs and other performance metrics.
- Understanding of UI/UX workflows and processes.
- Strong visual design sense, ability to create polished wireframes, mockups, and interactions that are consistent with art style guide using vector graphics .Strong knowledge of UI design and vector art creation tools – Adobe XD (or Sketch or similar), Animate, Illustrator, Photoshop.
- Strong knowledge of Unity and UI Implementation
- Strong communication skills – Ability to clearly communicate UI/UX needs and solutions, articulate issues when they arise.
- Exceptional problem solving skills – Displays curiosity and drive, thinks ‘User First’.
- Plays mobile games – Understands ‘Free to Play’ games and business model (Bonus if you are an idle game super-fan!).
- Portfolio showcasing previous UI/UX work on other games or similar projects. Showcases design sense, technical skill and reasonings.
- Bonus: Experience working with outside IP or brands, software as a service.
- You enjoy games, particularly mobile FTP games.
- You are top of the latest games, trends, and what’s happening in live events.
- Hungry, humble, and smart and can use these three pillars to impact you and those around you.
- Comfortable in an environment where priorities and plans change rapidly, but with intention.
- Ability to communicate across disciplines and seniority levels.
- Solution-oriented, self-motivated, and diligent.
- Community-minded, whereby a collective mission of the project is a shared priority.
- Empathetic, compassionate, and curious.
- Your values are governed by justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO WORK AT ESG?
Established in 2011, East Side Games started as an indie game studio in east Vancouver. Today, we’re part of East Side Games Group (TSX: EAGR), and we’re a game developer, publisher, and technology provider. We enable creators to successfully deliver memorable mobile gaming experiences that players engage with every day. Through our proven tech kits and beloved brand partnerships, our games empower passionate fan bases to explore their favourite content in a fun, convenient medium, available in the palm of their hands.
The best part is, we’re fans first, which makes this adventure extra special. Our games and our team have the same goal; to be inclusive and for everyone. We get sh*t done and our team is on hand to step in, listen, and support, regardless of rank. Find solutions, share your learnings, then share refreshments with the whole studio in our weekly Lunch & Learns and monthly Friday Cheers calls. Have we piqued your curiosity? Then check out our amazing Culture and Benefits! We note that our culture is not a monolith, and is ever-changing based on the folks that make up our team here at ESG.
WE’RE BUILT ON THE FOUNDATIONS OF DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
East Side Games are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, and will utilize the strengths you bring to foster your growth and the studio’s growth.
If this sounds like everything you hoped for and more, and you’re enthused to build genre-defining narrative idle games, click the “Apply Here” button below. If now is not the right time for you but you know someone who would be a great match for us at East Side Games, check out our referral bonus here! Let’s build great games together.
If you think this is an exciting opportunity, please
Due to a small, but completely awesome recruitment team, only those candidates that qualify will be contacted. Thanks for your interest in ESG and we wish you super success in your job search!