Intermediate DevOps Engineer – Vancouver
Type: Permanent Full-time
Job Code: 0213-268
Reports To: Lead Software Engineer (Back-end)
Start Date: ASAP
Number of Openings: 1
THE LOW DOWN
East Side Games is searching for our new Intermediate DevOps Engineer! You’ll be hands-on with all things systems-related, supporting infrastructure needs for our games and related projects. You’ll partner with internal teams to gather requirements, advise on best practices, and implement solutions. You’ll also maintain our current environment and provide on-call support as needed to ensure our players have a consistent, awesome game experience.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Develop, implement, and maintain scalable Linux-based infrastructure for all games, products, and tools, hosted within a hybrid environment consisting of primarily Amazon Web Services (AWS) managed by Puppet.
- Identify and recommend automation improvements, optimize applications design, and provide support to existing applications.
- Support back-end engineers with DevOps recommendations and best practices.
- Maintain and enhance system monitoring tools such as Datadog, New Relic and use these tools to identify application/environment issues and develop responsive failure avoidance/management procedures.
- Partner with internal teams for our incident management process and make use of tools such as PagerDuty to provide optimal uptime to applications.
- Use our existing configuration management system (based on Puppet) to plan and implement scalable configurations for our large collection of server environments, supporting a diverse collection of application stacks, including PHP, MySQL, Couchbase, and other managed and unmanaged services.
*** Duties and responsibilities outlined above are representative, but not all-inclusive.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3+ years of hands-on Systems Administration, IT Infrastructure, and Operations or Cloud Systems Engineering experience (or similar) with Linux-based server environments.
- Availability to support a 24/7 operation on a rolling on-call basis is required.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, business administration, commerce, engineering, or a combination of previous education and experience.
- Knowledge of building and optimizing Linux-based application stacks, preferably hosted in the cloud.
- Excellent understanding of the technical challenges applicable to web applications in relation to networking, scalability, virtualization, etc.
- Proven experience in the maintenance and monitoring of system infrastructure.
- Worked with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, CloudFront, Redshift, SES, etc.) in production environments.
- Experience with Puppet (highly preferred), Ansible, Chef or other configuration management tools.
- Experience with Git and version control.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work both independently on projects and cooperatively with the rest of the team.
- Desire to continue to develop skills with self-study, attending vendor training/conferences, and company-sponsored courses.
- Experience developing large-scale auto-scaling systems in a cloud-based environment – AWS is preferred.
- Experience with supporting development teams and maintaining production-level web-based systems with fault-tolerance, high scalability, and cost-effectiveness.
- Experience with Cloudability, Datadog, Slack, Github, Docker, Couchbase, or Jenkins.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
Check out our amazing CULTURE and BENEFITS on our website.
If you think this is an exciting opportunity, please
Due to a small (but completely awesome) recruitment team, only those candidates that qualify will be contacted. Thanks for your interest in ESG and we wish you super success in your job search!