DevOps Lead – Vancouver
Type: Permanent Full-time
Job Code: 0213-267
Reports To: Technical Director
Start Date: ASAP
Number of Openings: 1
THE LOW DOWN
East Side Games is looking for a DevOps Lead with significant technical expertise and experience to support and develop application infrastructure for the 24/7 operation of our games and products. You (yes, you!) will lead and mentor the systems infrastructure team and provide technical solutions to all business and IT needs. The responsibilities of this position require the successful applicant to be highly technical and hands-on, as well as providing leadership in planning and strategy around hybrid cloud and physical infrastructures.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Plan, develop, and implement scalable Linux-based infrastructure for all games, products, and tools, hosted within a hybrid environment of primarily Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Provide ongoing leadership and mentorship to all members of the systems infrastructure team and be the voice for strategic IT operations growth.
- Lead DevOps efforts in the studio, including automating deployment and maintenance tasks, designing/developing tools and system designs, and planning and evangelizing processes and procedures to ensure consistent uptime for our application environments.
- Maintain and enhance system monitoring tools such as Datadog, New Relic and use these tools to identify application/environment issues and develop responsive failure avoidance/management procedures.
- Maintain and enhance the incident management process and make use of tools such as PagerDuty; Coordinate on-call schedule with other engineers.
- Making use of our existing configuration management system based on Puppet, plan and implement scalable configurations for our large collection of server environments supporting a diverse collection of application stacks, including PHP, MySQL, Couchbase, and other managed and unmanaged services.
- Designing and supporting highly scalable applications making use of containers; Advocate for best practices with containers and development pipeline.
- Supervise Systems team and oversee their professional development and training.
- Communicating with 3rd party vendors (such as AWS, Cloudability, Datadog, Couchbase teams)
*** Duties and responsibilities outlined above are representative, but not all-inclusive.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, business administration, commerce or engineering.
- 5+ years of hands-on Systems Administration, IT Infrastructure, and Operations or Cloud Systems Engineering experience (or similar) in large-scale Linux-based server environments.
- Expert knowledge of building and optimizing Linux-based application stacks, preferably hosted in the cloud.
- Excellent understanding of the technical challenges applicable to web applications in relation to networking, scalability, virtualization, etc.
- Proven experience in the maintenance and monitoring of system infrastructure.
- Worked with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, CloudFront, Redshift, SES, etc.) in production environments.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work both independently on projects and cooperatively with the rest of the team.
- A desire to continue to develop skills with self-study and by attending vendor training/conferences as well as company sponsored courses.
- Availability to support a 24/7 operation on a rolling on-call basis is required.
- A passion for social and mobile games!
- Experience developing large-scale auto-scaling systems in a cloud-based environment such as AWS.
- Experience with designing, supporting the development, and maintaining production-level web-based systems with fault-tolerance, high scalability and cost-effectiveness.
- Experience with stacks like AWS, Pager Duty, Cloudability, Datadog, Puppet, Slack, Github, Docker, and Couchbase.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
Check out our amazing CULTURE and BENEFITS on our website.
If you think this is an exciting opportunity, please
Due to a small (but completely awesome) recruitment team, only those candidates that qualify will be contacted. Thanks for your interest in ESG and we wish you super success in your job search!